During the winter months, the dryer appears to run continuously. Many of us never pay much attention to what is happening and sooner or later the dryer vent becomes clogged.
When you use your dryer every day it is important to know how do you unclog a dryer vent.
Cleaning the Dryer Vent Yourself
Once your dryer vent becomes clogged it is essential that you clean it, as it becomes a fire hazard. In fact in the future clean it before it becomes clogged, allowing it to work at its optimal level.
You will save money by doing the cleaning yourself, and it will give you an idea of how often you need to do it.
How do You Unclog a Dryer Vent
1. Disconnect the dryer from the power supply to clean the vent, be sure to do this as you risk electrocution by leaving it on.
If you have a gas dryer, this is more complicated, and you may need technical support.
2.Move the dryer away from the wall a bit and remove the vent clamp.
3.Clear the vent duct of lint. Get the vacuum and suck the lint out. Do this gently as you don’t want to damage the duct. Wear some rubber gloves for this part, as you may encounter sharp objects.
4.Clean the vent pipe. You may need to purchase a special brush to do this.
5.If possible remove the vent cover and vacuum around there.
6. Remove the lint screen, take it to the sink and wash it with warm soapy water, allow it to dry before putting it back in.
7.Clean around the back of the dryer, this is an area that seems to attract dust.
8.Put the ductwork back in place and plug the dryer in again.
If your dryer is vented to the outside check the exterior to be sure that there is nothing growing in it or obstructing the airflow.
9.Run the dryer empty for 10 minutes on an air setting, to make sure it is alright, any loosened debris can then be removed from the dryer. Wipe it out with an antiseptic wipe inside the dryer to clean the internal surface.
Your dryer should last around 10 years after that time consider replacing it anyway, as it has had its best years. Technology like everything else moves on. If you encounter any serious faults or electrical issues, call a repair technician to come and check your dryer out.
Signs that your dryer may be clogged.
- It is failing to dry the load of washing properly.
- Alternately it may become overheated.
- You might smell burning
- The lint filter may need replacing.
- When the dryer is not in use keep the door closed, you don’t want any bugs crawling in there.
Other Recommendations for Cleaning Your Dryer /Tips
- Make a time every month to give your dryer vent a quick clean, and this way you won’t run into problems. If you leave it uncleaned for too long the vent and ducting can become seriously clogged.
- Several people suggest that you use the crevice tool on the vacuum cleaner to complete the task, this is a good idea as it gets into hard-to-reach spots.
- On reading the dryer manual, it recommends cleaning the dryer vent every 6-12 months. But if your dryer gets a lot of work you will want to clean it out more often.
- One article on unclogging your dryer vent recommends using a leaf blower if you have one. This allows all the lint to blow out of the pipes quite quickly.
Washer Dryer Combo
If you have an LG Washer Dryer Combo, you don’t have a lint trap and this causes more lint to remain in the fabric, compared to that of a standard dryer. Instead, it has a drain pump filter to catch objects, and you can remove it, as it will catch things like keys and coins. It is a good idea to watch the video to learn to do this, otherwise, it involves a service charge.
Cleaning and unclogging the dryer vents is quite simple in most dryers, and it is important to set aside the time to do it.